We are the established organisation in New Zealand Aotearoa of private music teachers. Created by the Music Teachers Act 1981, our organization requires personal and professional qualifications for registration.
We are committed to
- Providing a high-quality service to the community
- The highest professional and ethical standards in our teaching
- The ongoing professional development and support of our members
We have branches throughout New Zealand Aotearoa. Our members include expert teachers across a wide range of instruments and singing, from music in early childhood and for students with disabilities to advanced performance skills. If you are looking for a private music teacher, we offer you the assurance of quality.
Our members include some highly distinguished individuals who we value for their contribution to music education and music teaching. We also have Affiliate Individuals (people who are not music teachers but have an interest in supporting our aims and objectives) and Affiliate Organisations (organisations in the music industry or involved with music education who have an interest in supporting our aims and objectives).
Our aims are:
- To develop the musical potential of each student
- To promote and encourage excellence in music education
- To provide opportunities for performance and encourage creativity
- To promote musical understanding of all genres
- To provide music teachers with continuing education
- To ensure that music continues to be part of the future cultural heritage of New Zealand
The IRMTNZ produces a Journal “Ritmico” three times a year which is sent to all members and subscription holders.
Our annual conference is usually held in January each year and includes the Annual General Meeting, seminars, workshops and performances, and provides an opportunity for professional development for attendees.
Our Patron – Michael Houstoun
View Michael’s website.
A Brief History of the IRMTNZ
See this one-page document which gives a summary of IRMTNZ History.
Thank you to Life Member Wallace Woodley QSO for reviewing this document.