IRMTNZ was established by the Music Teachers Act 1981.
Our Mission Statement
The Institute of Registered Music Teachers of New Zealand (IRMTNZ) is a professional organisation which supports registered music teachers by providing regular professional development opportunities and upholding standards of excellence in the teaching of music.
We are committed to
- Providing a high-quality service to the community
- The highest professional and ethical standards in our teaching
- The ongoing professional development and support of our members
We have branches throughout Aotearoa New Zealand. Collectively our members teach a wide range of instruments/singing and styles to students of all ages and levels in studios and schools nationwide. If you are looking for a private music teacher, we offer you the assurance of quality.
Our aims are to:
- Develop the musical potential of each student
- Promote and encourage excellence in music education
- To provide opportunities for performance and encourage creativity
- To promote musical understanding of all genres
- To provide music teachers with continuing education
- To ensure that music continues to be part of the future cultural heritage of New Zealand
IRMTNZ produces a print journal, Ritmico, once a year, and regular Ritmico Online newsletters which are distributed to all members and subscription holders.
Our Patron: Michael Houstoun
View Michael’s website.
A Brief History of IRMTNZ
See this one-page document which gives a summary of IRMTNZ History.
Thank you to Life Member Wallace Woodley QSO for reviewing this document.